Saturday, January 16, 2010

Elective Posting At Sarawak General Hospital : First Week

The first department that I was attached to for one week was Cardiology department. Dr Tan was the clinical cardiologist for that week. Every morning, there will be a discussion among the doctors in the seminar room. They will discuss their cases and decide for the best management for each case. Besides, a medical journal related to cardiology will also be presented if there is one. We started with ward rounds in the Cardiac Care Unit (CCU). Over there, I saw patients with rheumatic fever, pericardial effusion and bronchiectasis. Then, we continued with ward rounds in the Cardiac Thoracic wards. There, I saw a real rectal examination for the first time other than a rectal examination on a dummy or in a video. Haha I also saw patients with pedal oedema, heart failure, typical angina, triple vessels block and valvular heart diseases. For valvular heart diseases, the most common case was mitral regurgitation. Other than that, I saw a patient with a pacemaker and her pacemaker actually dropped out but the leads were stuck in her heart. It was difficult to pull out the leads due to long term fibrosis. The doctors are still deciding on what to do with her. I did physical examintaions on the patients. I managed to feel for a collapsing pulse. Lastly, we did ward rounds in the female and male medical and surgical wards where we only looked at patients with cases related to cardiac in origin. The most common case there was acute coronary syndrome. I did physical examinations on the patients too. I managed to listen to a systolic murmur from a patient with vasculitis and feel for a irregularly irregular pulse from a patient with atrial fibrillation. Dr Tan taught my friends and I about pulse deficit. After the ward rounds, we went to the Cardiac clinic to look at patients who came for echocardiogram and International Normalized Ratio (INR) follow up.

Photobucket
Echocardiogram

Photobucket
With the permission from the patient, this is a picture of vasculitis

During my free time, I went to the paediatric ward with my friend, Diana to look at the babies and children.

Photobucket
Arif (One of the twins) who had recovered from diarrhoea. Whenever I put him back on his bed, he would cry. Haha

5 comments:

keili said...

hi! which med school are you from?

Audrey Teo said...

Hi! I am from IMU, bukit jalil. What about you? Where are you doing your dentistry? hehe

Unknown said...

hi...thanks for ur blog
it's a very motivating story..:)

i'm citra, a 4th year medical student from Indonesia
i'm interested in having some elective posting but i do not have any idea to do it

could u please kindly share to me?
thanks a lot...

warm regards,
Citra Estetika
citra.estetika@yahoo.com

May May said...

Hi there, I am a final year medical student from New Zealand. I randomly came across your blog and found it really interesting. I would like to do a 3 weeks electives in Sarawak General Hospital around April next year. Do you have any contact details of the person whom I shall contact with? I went to the Sarawak General Hospital website and it was not very helpful at all. Would really appreciate if you could point me to the right direction. Thanks heaps! My name is May by the way, I'm originally from Malaysia =)

LEE TZE LIANG (李梓梁) said...

Hi there,I am fourth year medical student form MAHSA University,Malaysia. I saw and read your blog by chance. I would like to apply for a 3-weeks clinical elective at Sarawak General Hospital. Do you have the list of field/department/specialty available for my elective course?
Do you mind to share it to me? Thanks a lot...

Regards,
Dennis Lee
leetzeliang33@gmail.com