Sunday, January 10, 2010

Kuala Kubu Baru Hospital

During my semester 3, we were posted to Kuala Kubu Baru Hospital for 4 days and 3 nights for our rotation posting. Kuala Kubu Baru is situated in Hulu Selangor and it takes about 3 hours to reach there from my campus.

Photobucket
We went there by bus on a Sunday.

Photobucket
I saw buffalos on the way to Kuala Kubu Baru.


Photobucket
Part of the town in Kuala Kubu Baru

We reached there in the evening and we had a briefing before going to our hostels. The girls had to stay in the nurse hostel (3 floors including ground floor) in the hospital itself and the guys had to stay in the houses nearby the hospital. I chose the first floor. We were lucky enough to experience the Pasar Malam there that evening. Some of us drove there so we did not have to walk to the town. Every night, the town is dead by 9pm. If you are looking for a slow and peaceful life in a town with just 'kedai runcit', Kuala Kubu Baru is an ideal place for you.

Photobucket
The nurse hostel

Photobucket
Our room was right at the end.

Photobucket
Eight people in one room.

Photobucket
I spent the rest of my 3 nights on this bed. We had to bring everything on our own except for the mattress.

The first night, most of my friends and I were not used to the nurse hostel. It was so difficult for us to take a shower. The handle to hang our towels and clothes were so rusty that we did not dare to hang anything on it. We had to bring a few plastic bags each to put our towels and clothes.

Photobucket
Two bathrooms per floor.

Photobucket
Kuala Kubu Baru is famous for its waterfall. It is a tourist spot. Even though I did not have a chance to go to the waterfall, I experienced my own Kuala Kubu Baru waterfall whenever I on the tap in the bathroom.

During that week, it was just a few more weeks to our final exam. All of us brought our books to read but nothing went into our heads even though we tried our best to read. We were just not used to the place yet.

We had to wake up early the next morning. Everyone had to work in a pair. Our lecturer assigned one patient to each pair. I paired up with Sim. We had to take a full history followed by a physical examination on the patient assigned to us. Our first patient was from Bangladesh. He suffered from dengue. We even learned a few words in Bangladesh language from him. Haha

The next day, we had a patient with Down Syndrome so we had to share patient with my friends. We could not get any information from our own patient. It was a great experience. I heard crackles and wheezes through my stethoscope for the very first time. Other than that, I actually felt a thrill at the aortic area with my palm for the very first time too from a patient with hypertension. I also heard murmurs and added heart sounds for the very first time from the same patient.

We also went to the accident and emergency department, labour ward (no chance to watch a delivery), mortuary, out patient department and physiotherapy unit.

Photobucket
We had a great time at the physiotherapy unit. =D

We went out to eat every night for dinner. The last night there, we had seafood. Haha

Photobucket
Sin Dee and I admired this pink myvi every morning when we were walking to the canteen for our breakfast. haha We both love pink.

Photobucket
My friends and I at the entrance of the hospital

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Travellers or backpackers are more interesting on learning different culture and lifestyle of the country they travelling in.

Hoteles Rio