Thursday, August 14, 2008

My Ambitious Dream to be a Hairdresser

HAIRDRESSING is the art of arranging the hair or otherwise modifying its natural state. Closely related to headgear, hairdressing has been an important part of the dress of both men and women since antiquity and, like dress, serves a number of functions. From the late Middle Ages, hair styles in the West have been greatly influenced by changing fashion. In the 17th century, for example, courtiers followed the lead of the balding Louis XIV, who wore a wig. In the 20th century women of all classes eagerly followed the example of film stars with such styles as the platinum hair of Jean Harlow. Until the 20th century, fashionable hair styles generally were limited to the upper classes, and the dictates of fashion were relatively rigid. Today, with the general increase in wealth, the improvement in mass communication, and the trend toward informality and individualism, women (and men) in all classes can choose the style and color of their own hair, or of a wig, that best suit their needs and tastes. After looking at so many hairdressers cutting their customers' hair, I had this dream to cut my own customers' hair. Guess what? I had my first customer last week. Haha After telling Gerald that I could really cut his hair for quite some time, he finally decided to let me cut his hair. It was my first time trying to cut someone's hair. I thought that it would be easier to cut a guy's hair rather than a girl's hair. I was totally wrong because to me, they are equally hard to cut for someone like me after my first experience. I took more than an hour to cut a simple hairstyle (it wasn't a style at all to be exact). It was a disaster. Whenever he asked me how was it, I told him that it looked fine. Well, I thought it looked fine. I didn't know it was so uneven. When I was finally done with it, he went to the big mirror and he told me that it was uneven and weird. In the end, we had to go to the saloon to fix his hair. This was the conversation between the REAL hairdresser and him:

Hairdresser: Wow! Your hair was too long and your teacher simply cut it for you in school?
Gerald: Erm, yeah. My teacher is my friend too. She told me she knew how to cut so I let her cut.
Hairdresser: She just learned how to cut someone's hair?
Gerald: Yeah, when she was cutting my hair, I felt like crying.
Hairdresser: It's ok. I will fix it for you but I guess she had ruined your front hair. It is too short.

After 30 minutes.... everything went back to normal. Both of us laughed when we stepped out of the saloon. Now, I never dream to be a hairdresser anymore. I doubt I have any second customer too. Haha

Photobucket
It looked fine from the front

Photobucket
There wasn't any style from behind but just a disaster

Photobucket
The hairstyle I tried to create for him

Photobucket
Everything went back to normal. My first and last customer. It was a free birthday haircut for him. Happy Birthday!!

No comments: